|Southwest Quinoa Lettuce Wraps|
Southwest Quinoa Lettuce Wraps
Prep Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 20 minutes / Servings: 8 wraps
- 1 head of leaf or Bib lettuce
- 2 cups of cooked red or white quinoa (prepare according to package directions)
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup yellow or white corn kernels
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese (optional)
- Prepare and cook the quinoa according to package directions.
- Combine all ingredients (except for lettuce) in a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Wash and separate the lettuce leaves. Arrange them on a large serving dish.
- Fill each lettuce leaf with about 1/4 cup of the quinoa mixture. Serve immediately.
|Turkey Sausage and Spinach Penne|
Turkey Sausage and Spinach Penne
- 3 Italian turkey sausages (about 9 ounces), casings removed
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach, rinsed and drained
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 8 ounces dried penne
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz. white or button mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the red bell pepper in half lengthwise and remove the inside seeds and membrane. On an open flame or gas burner, place the pepper directly on the flame. Roast it on high heat for 3-4 minutes per side, until soft and blackened. You can also place it in in the broiler if you don't have a gas burner or grill. Remove from the heat, allow the pepper to cool for about 5 minutes and slice it into thin strips. Set aside.
- Bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook on high heat for 8-10 minutes, until the noodles are soft. Drain, set aside and keep warm.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add the sausages (remove the casings first) and break them up into small pieces. Add the mushrooms, sage and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook on medium heat for 7-10 minutes, until the sausages are cooked through and everything is browned.
- In a large serving bowl, add baby spinach, roasted red pepper and scallions. Mix until combined. Stir in the sausage mixture and the warm penne and mix until the spinach is slightly wilted. Top with Parmesan cheese, season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Mediterranean Pasta Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes / Cook time: 15 minutes / Servings: 8
- 4 cups Israeli couscous, cooked, prepared according to package directions
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1 cup low-fat feta cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cous cous, cucumber, tomato, red onion, kalamata olives and feta cheese. Stir until combined and well mixed.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine red wine vinegar, fresh dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Pour the vinegar mixture evenly over the cous cous mixture. Stir until combined. Chill until ready to be served.
Skinny Summer Cocktails & Desserts
Pineapple Infused Sake
Prep Time: 15 minutes / Refrigeration Time: 48 hours / Servings: 16
- 1 large pineapple, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 2 bottles clear, filtered sake
- Prepare the pineapple and place it into a large, sealable container.
- Pour the sake over the pineapple chunks and seal the container.
- Place it in the refrigerator for 48 hours.
- If you prefer not to have any pulp in the served sake, run it through a strainer or a cheesecloth before serving.
Prep Time: 5 minutes / Cook Time: 0 minutes / Servings: 1
- 2 oz. Dark Spiced Rum
- 4 oz. Coconut Pineapple Juice
- Splash (squeeze) of Lime Juice
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake well and pour into serving glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.
|Skinny Tropical Dessert Nachos|
Skinny Tropical Dessert Nachos
Prep: 15 minutes / Cook Time: 0 minutes / Servings: 4
- 5 ounces, apple chips
- 1 cup finely chopped California strawberries
- 1 mango, finely chopped
- 2 kiwi fruit, finely chopped
- 6 ounce(s) of Philadelphia Light or Fat-Free Cream Cheese
- 3 tbsp. of honey
- 2 tbsp. of orange juice
- 2 tbsp. of fresh mint, finely chopped, plus one sprig for garnish
- Spread apple chips evenly on a serving dish.
- Combine chopped fruit in a large bowl and mix until combined. Spoon evenly over the apple chips.
- Combine cream cheese, orange juice and honey in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove and whisk until all ingredients are combined and smooth (should have the thickness and texture of nacho cheese). Then, spoon cream cheese mixture over nachos. Evenly spread the chopped mint on top and garnish with the final sprig of mint.
|Baked Plantain Chips with Spicy Mango Papaya Sauce|
A tip for the Plantains: They always LOOK ripe in the store, like big, browning bananas, but Plantains are best and ripest when they're completely BLACK. They're much easier to peel, and the fruit inside will still be firm and sweet.
Baked Plantain Chips with Spicy Mango Papaya Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes / Cook Time: 20 minutes / Servings: 4
|Baked Plantain Chips|
- 1 strawberry papaya, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 tbsp. agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 4 ripe plantains
- pinch of salt
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the mango, papaya, agave nectar and cayenne pepper. Blend on high speed until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl and set aside.
- Peel the plantains and slice them thinly on a bias, creating 1/2" thick chips.
- Arrange them on a cookie sheet that's been sprayed with cooking spray. Spray the chips again on top, sprinkle with salt and place them in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Flip them over with a spatula and cook for another 10 minutes, until golden brown on the edges. Remove from the heat and allow them to cool for 5 minutes before serving.