|Butternut Squash Soup|
Watch for some beautiful, heart and tummy warming dishes too, like Heidi's Butternut Squash Soup. This one makes it to the dinner table every holiday season! My sister-in-law first enjoyed Butternut Squash Soup when having lunch at the Rutherford Grille near Napa. She "fell in love" with it and began working on a recipe of her own. It's a perfect comfort food, especially when paired with a glass of chardonnay!
Prep Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 40 minutes / Servings: 4
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Split butternut squash lengthwise and remove seeds. Place in a shallow baking dish face down in 1/2 inch of water. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until soft when pierced.
- Saute onions in 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent and soft, about 10 minutes. Add crushed garlic and saute for approximately 1 minute before removing from heat.
- After the squash has cooled slightly, scoop out with a spoon and place in a food processor or blender.
- Add cooked onion and garlic, the additional 3 tbsp. olive oil and half the chicken broth. Blend until smooth.
- Add remaining chicken broth, syrup, spices and blend again until smooth. Serve immediately.
Post a Comment