|Braised Beef Short-Ribs in Sweet, Sun Dried Tomato and Red Wine Reduction|
These braised short-ribs are very easy to make and the sweet wine reduction that tops it all off is like the cherry on top of an ice cream sundae!
Braised Short Ribs with Sweet, Sun-Dried Tomato and Red Wine Reduction
|Braised Beef-Short Ribs|
- 3 pounds boneless beef short ribs (about 12 ribs)
- 10 oz. sliced crimini or baby bella mushrooms
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 3/4 cup of sun dried tomatoes in oil (usually sold in a 6-8 oz. glass jar)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and reserve the olive oil from the sun-dried tomatoes. Place the tomatoes in a blender or food processor and blend on high speed for about 3 minutes, until a thick, chunky paste is formed.
- Heat the reserved olive oil in a large skillet. Add mushrooms and scallions, season with salt and pepper and cook on high heat until mushrooms are browned and scallions are soft, about 7 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the meat to the skillet, season well with salt and pepper and sear on each side for about 3-5 minutes per side, until each side is browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add about 1 cup of beef stock to the saucepan, de-glaze the pan with the stock and pour into a crock pot. Add the rest of the stock, sun-dried tomato paste, molasses, wine and brown sugar to the crock pot and stir. Add the meat and mushrooms, cover and cook in the crock pot for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the meat from the pot and cover with foil.
- Add 2 tbsp. corn starch to 1/2 cup cold water and stir until the corn starch dissolves. Add to the crock pot and whisk until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Serve short ribs on top of mashed potatoes or rice. Top with the reduction sauce and serve immediately.