|Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
It's time for Fall and all those wonderful comfort food recipes that fill your home with wonderful, heartwarming smells! This recipe is a little more special today because I used some of the fresh herbs that my stepfather bought for me after my Sam Livecast Cooking Competition loss (we're calling it 2nd place!).
|My new herb plant with fresh
Apparently my stepfather wasn't aware of my stellar ability to lose in cooking competition finales, so in his fit of overwhelming guilt, he ran to the store the moment he heard of my "2nd place win." I came home to balloons, flowers, cards, wine and a GORGEOUS pot of fresh herbs. Perhaps I should finish in second place more often!
I couldn't wait to make something with the new herb plants, so as soon as I got home I planned to make a delicious roasted chicken with some fall veggies. It was easy, healthy, delicious and fun, just like all food should be! I chopped up the leftovers and made a delicious hash the next morning. I added a nice over-easy fried egg, so nothing ever went to waste.
|Leftover hash was great for breakfast the
Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
Prep Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 2 hours / Servings: 6
- 1 whole frying chicken (about 5 lbs.), thawed
- 4-5 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4-5 medium Russet potatoes, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium Butternut Squash, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
|Herb mixture after it's been prepared
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine 1/4 cup olive oil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, chopped scallions and pressed garlic cloves. Season with 1 tsp. each salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Prepare the chicken by first removing the giblets from the inside of the chicken. I also like to cut off any excess skin and tie the feet together with some baking twine or a string of cheese cloth.
- Using a basting brush, spread all of the mixture evenly over the chicken, working some under the skin of the breast. Place the prepared chicken in a large roasting pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the carrots, onions, potatoes and butternut squash. Add the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and generously season with salt and pepper. Toss with your hands until well mixed and all veggies are coated with olive oil and seasoning.
- Evenly add the veggies to the roasting pan on all sides.
- Place in the oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours, uncovered. Baste the chicken and stir the veggies about every 30 minutes, so that the skin browns and all the veggies cook evenly. When the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 180 degrees, remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before carving and serving.
|Single serving, Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables