|Southwest Stuffed Zucchini|
I've been wanting to make an easy, vegan stuffed zucchini for a while now and this was easier and more delicious than I had planned. I will definitely be making this again, playing with different ingredients and making different ethnic versions.
Veggie burgers are so easy and versatile to use in different vegan and vegetarian recipes. The give tons of seasoning and texture, and make a little go a long way when you're feeding multiple people. I prefer the Morning Star Spicy Chipotle Black Bean Burgers, but there are lots of other great brands out there including Gardein and Light Life.
If you're a meat eater, the veggie burgers are easily substituted for ground turkey or beef, just use a bit more seasoning (taco seasoning is REALLY easy) for the flavor.
You can serve these as an appetizer, side or an entree. It just depends on how many you make, how you plate them and the ingredients you use.
Southwest Stuffed Zucchini
Prep Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 20 minutes / Servings: 12 zucchini halves
- 6 medium zucchini
- 3 Morning Star Spicy Chipotle Black Bean Burgers, thawed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked, short grain, brown rice
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped (reserve about 2 tbsp. for garnish)
- 1 ear of white corn, kernels removed and ear discarded (or 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed)
- 2 scallions, chopped (reserve about 1 tbsp. for garnish)
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, sliced for garnish
- 1/2 tbsp. ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
|Baked Southwest Stuffed Zucchini|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and spoon out the centers with a melon baller.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add the chopped veggie burgers, brown rice, Roma tomato, corn, scallions, roasted red pepper. Season with ground cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until combined and cook for 4-5 minutes, until all ingredients are heated and combined.
- Place the zucchini halves on a non-stick cookie sheet. Spoon the veggie burger mixture evenly into the center of the hollowed out zucchini. Place in the oven and bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, squeeze lime juice evenly over baked zucchini, garnish with remaining fresh tomato, scallions and avocado slices.
Post a Comment