|Greek Stuffed Chicken Roulade with Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce|
This year for date night on Valentines Day, I'm making something different, healthy and YUMMY! We LOVE Greek and Mediterranean flavors in our house and I always keep staple ingredients like Kalamata olives, peppers and Greek Seasonings on hand.
This recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free and grain-free (as long as you don't serve the brown rice on the side like I did)! My husband added that some Italian Chicken Sausage would be a nice add to the stuffing for some additional spice and flavor. Next time, I'm adding that for sure!
Greek Stuffed Chicken Roulade with Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
Prep Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 20 minutes / Servings: 4
For The Chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded out to 1/4" thickness
Greek Stuffed Chicken Roulade
with Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, pressed
- 10 oz. sliced Crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, stems removed
- 1 tsp. salt-free Greek or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. red chile flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a meat mallet, pound out the chicken breasts to about 1/4" in thickness. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet with the olive oil to medium heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Season with salt, pepper, red chile flake and Greek seasoning. Stir and cook on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, until garlic is soft and liquid is cooked off from mushrooms. Stir in the olives, cook for an additional 1 minute until olives are heated and combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Lay the chicken breasts flat. Spread 4-5 spinach leaves on top of each chicken breast, covering 3/4 of the meat. Add 1/4 of the olive mixture on top of the spinach leaves, lengthwise in the center of the chicken breast. Place 4-5 slices of yellow bell pepper across each of the chicken breasts, on top of the olive mixture. Roll the chicken breasts up, starting with the smallest point at the end. Fasten with a toothpick if necessary and place them in a glass baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and place in the oven to bake for about 20-25 minutes, until the chicken is completely cooked through. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- 1/3 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 large basil leaves
- 1 roasted red pepper (from a jar)
- 1 tbsp. capers
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Mix on high speed for about 1 minute, until all ingredients form a thick, chunky sauce. Transfer mixture to a small saucepan.
- Heat on medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and keep warm until ready to serve.
Cut chicken breasts across the grain of the meat, showing the spirals of stuffing. Spread onto serving plate and drizzle with sauce on top. See photos for side dish serving suggestions.
Post a Comment