|Grilled Carne Asada Stromboli|
My mouth waters every time I see this photo. My husband's knees buckle. These are soooo frickin' good.
Have I told you I love Mexican Food?! I know, I know...that was a joke.
These are a GREAT grilled game day meal. They're perfectly impressive for a tailgate party. They're portable, so you can walk around with a beer in one hand, and a Grilled Carne Asada Stromboli in the other. Problem solved.
If you're doing this in a stadium parking lot, it's easiest to buy pre-marinated carne asada, and pre-made pizza dough. But, if you're a purist like me, there's a simple marinade recipe below too.
Grilled Carne Asada Stromboli with Chipotle Lime Sour Cream
Prep Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 20 minutes / Servings: 2 stromboli (4 servings)
- 1 lb. pre-marinated Carne Asada (or see marinade recipe below)
Trader Joe's Pizza Dough
- 1 cup of shredded 4 Cheese Mexican blend
- 1/2 cup of fresh, pre-made pico de gallo (or see recipe below)
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 ready-made, uncooked pizza dough (I use Trader Joe's)
- 1/4 cup flour for dusting
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 tsp. Chipotle Powder
- Juice of 1/2 Lime
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Pre-heat outdoor grill to high heat.
- Tear the pizza dough in half, making two evenly sized dough balls. Dust with flour and roll out the pizza dough according to the package instructions (you may need to let it rest for a few minutes before rolling out). Make 2 flat, pizza rounds, each about 8-10 inches in diameter. Note: If you're taking these to a tailgate party, do this before you leave.
- In a mixing bowl combine the sour cream, chipotle powder, lime juice and garlic powder. Season with 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Place the marinated carne asada on the grill for about 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat, chop into small slices and set aside.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the chipotle sour cream onto the pizza dough rounds, about 1" from the edges. Spread 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 of the chopped meat onto one side of each of the dough rounds. Top with about 2 tbsp. of the pico de gallo and a few avocado slices. Fold it in half to cover and seal the edges by pinching it with wet fingers. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place both of the stromboli on the heated grill, cover the grill and cook on high heat for about 4 minutes on each side, until the dough is golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool for 5 minutes. Cut in half with a pizza slicer and serve with extra chipotle lime sour cream for dipping.
Carne Asada Marinade
- 1 lb. thinly sliced skirt or flank steak
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- Place all ingredients in a sealable, plastic bag. Seal the bag and let the air escape. Massage and combine the ingredients into the meat for about 2 minutes. Place it in the refrigerator to marinate for about 2 hours.
Fresh Pico de Gallo
- 2 medium vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño, seeded, membrane removed and chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. each salt/pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir until combined.