|Uptown Funk-A-Mole with Cilantro Lime Waffle Chips|
The big game is coming up soon, and here's a GREAT way to get your ticket! Go to the Chef's Roll Facebook page and enter your best Rock n' Roll inspired guacamole recipe!
Here's the link: http://woobox.com/tp984w/d26io8
I LOVE the theme for this contest. Since I was a kid, I have always been moved by the funk and rhythm of artists like James Brown, Prince, and George Clinton. Today, Bruno Mars continues to inspire me in all the same ways. With his Hawaiian roots and inner city beats, his songs are always fresh, funky and FUN, which is JUST the way I believe food should be!
My “Uptown Funk-a-mole” incorporates a bit of Bruno’s roots with some Hawaiian Spam and Pineapple funk. It boasts an inner-city, fried chicken and savory waffle chip finish to take it over the top and make it fresh, make it funky and make it FUN!
Uptown Funk-A-Mole with Cilantro Lime Waffle Chips
Prep Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 45 minutes / Servings: 4-6
For the Chips:
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 lime, juice and zest only
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- non-stick cooking spray
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Heat waffle iron and spray with cooking spray. Ladle 1-2 tbsp. batter into each square of the waffle iron. Let the chips cook for 6-7 minutes, until well browned. Remove the chips and lay them on a wire rack that’s been lined with a paper towel. Sprinkle the chips with salt and allow them to cool and crisp for about 5 minutes.
For the Guacamole:
- 3 extra large Avocados from Mexico, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 pieces Crispy Fried Chicken Thighs (preferably purchased from a local, hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint)
- 1 1/2 cups diced Spam
- 1 1/2 cups fresh Pineapple, chopped
- 3 Scallions, chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 large Serrano Chile, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to broil. Cut the red bell pepper in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and membrane. Place the bell pepper in the oven and broil for about 7 minutes on each side. Remove from the oven, allow it to cool until ready to handle, chop, and set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet to high heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Add the Spam and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until crispy and browned. Remove from the heat, allow it to cool and set aside.
- Peel, seed and chop the Avocados from Mexico. Transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Add the lime juice, chopped pineapple, scallions, red bell pepper, Spam and Serrano chile. Season with the garlic powder and salt & pepper to taste. Stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Peel the fried chicken from the bones, chop it, and place it on top of the guacamole just before serving it with the cilantro lime waffle chips.