Spinach, mushrooms, chicken and LOTS of cheese have all found their way into my white lasagna. This is a great dish for game day, gatherings, or just a day of needed indulgence. I started this recipe by using one of Emeril Lagasse's similar recipes and I began to add and edit my own touches over the years. This one is even better the next day, so make a big batch and enjoy!
Prep Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 45 minutes / Serves: 8
- 4 large chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 10 oz. packages chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 pound sliced white or button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 6 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups four cheese Italian blend
- 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 box no boil lasagna noodles
- 2 tbsp. butter, cut into 8 small squares
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Season the chopped chicken with salt and pepper. Cook the breasts on medium heat just until cooked through, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, add garlic powder, onion powder, and white wine and cook on high heat until liquid is almost absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Add the flour and stir, creating a thick roux. Add the milk 1 cup at a time, whisking constantly, adding the next cup after the first cup has thickened.
- Add the spinach, pumpkin pie spice and 1 cup of the cheese blend. Stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Spray a 9x13 inch lasagna pan with cooking spray.
- Ladle some of the sauce in the bottom of the pan and spread to coat the bottom. Place a layer of lasagna sheets to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover the lasagna sheets with more sauce. Place 1/4 of the chicken on top of the sauce. Place 1/4 of the remaining cheese on top of the chicken.
- Repeat above steps: lasagna sheet, sauce, chicken, cheese, until chicken is gone. End with a lasagna sheet, a layer of sauce and some of the remaining cheese. Spread the butter squares on top of the cheese and bake in the oven for 45 minutes, until sauce is thick and bubbly and top begins to brown. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.