I love Elie Krieger on Food Network because she gives us so many healthy alternatives to foods we really love...like this one! I changed it a bit to make it even easier, so yes, now its MY RECIPE !
Prep Time: 15 minutes / Cook Time: 20 minutes / Servings: / 4
1 1/2 cups brown rice
1/1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cups water
2 chicken breasts, butterflied and cut through
2 cups bread crumbs
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup flour
3/4 cup egg beaters
16 oz. marinara sauce
salt and pepper
- Combine rice, chicken broth and water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil on high heat, then reduce to a simmer, cover and continue to cook until rice is soft and liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Set up three breading stations: 1) Flour,seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder, 2) Egg Beaters, 3) Bread crumbs, Italian Seasoning, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- After butterflying the chicken, you should have 4 equal size pieces. Pound out with a cooking mallet to 1/4" thickness. Dip each piece in the flour first, shake off excess, then the egg, then the bread crumb mixture.
- Spray each side of the chicken breasts and a flat baking dish liberally with cooking spray. Lay the chicken flat in the baking dish and cook in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Turn the oven up to broil for another 5 minutes so they get really brown and crispy.
- Heat the marinara sauce in a medium saucepan.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, spread the marinara on top and then add the remaining cheese. Return to the broiler for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- To serve: Spread 1/4 of the brown rice onto a plate, top with the chicken, sauce and cheese.