|Sausage Spinach Penne|
Sausage Spinach Penne
Prep Time: 10 minutes / Cook Time: 20 minutes / Servings: 4
- 6 ounces baby spinach, washed and stemmed
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground sage
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Boil the pasta in a large pot of salted water until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Cut the red bell pepper in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Turn gas burner or grill on high heat and place the peppers directly on the flame. Burn for about 5 minutes on each side, until blackened and roasted. Cut into lengthwise strips and set aside.
- Place the sausage in a large mixing bowl. Add sage, 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper, onions and Worcestershire sauce. Mix until combined.
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet. Using a melonballer, scoop mini meatballs into the skillet and cook on medium heat until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Cook in batches if needed.
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a separate skillet. Add mushrooms, season with 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper and cook on medium heat until browned, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To serve: In a large mixing bowl, combine spinach, roasted red pepper, mushrooms, meatballs, parmesan cheese and penne. Toss together and serve.