|Sausage and Tomato Brown Rice|
First up is my Sausage and Tomato Brown Rice. I've started using mostly brown rice over white rice as a side dish, due to the incredible increased nutritional value of brown rice. For more details go to: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=128. But, if it's not seasoned right, it reminds me a little of cooked dirt! I've found that chicken broth is a must when cooking brown rice and when I added this tomato basil soup (also a little boring on its own), the dish went over the top!
Sausage and Tomato Brown Rice
Prep Time: 10 minutes / Cook Time: 40 minutes / Servings:8
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 2 Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage Links, chopped
- 1 cup Trader Joe's Organic Tomato Basil Soup
- 3 cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- In a large saucepan, combine rice and olive oil. Cook on high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until rice is lightly toasted. Add soup, chicken broth, garlic powder, salt and pepper and stir until all ingredients are combined. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is soft, about 30-35 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, cook the chopped sausage on medium heat for 7-10 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Stir sausage into rice.
- To Serve: Pack the rice into 1/2 cup measuring cups. Turn the cups upside down on the serving dish and lightly tap on the cup to release the rice onto the plate. Serve immediately.